Artificial intelligence is transforming the field of healthcare and the way we diagnose diseases, as well as provide health care. At a time when the healthcare system is stagnating and not undergoing major changes, the advent of artificial intelligence is redefining the patient-physician relationship, the operating mode of hospitals, but also the strategy of treating diseases more efficiently and personalizedly with patients.
Find out how artificial intelligence is transforming the healthcare field and all its applications with Ingegno.
The importance of AI in health
A major innovation in the lives of humans and businesses alike, artificial intelligence is increasingly revolutionizing the healthcare industry. Indeed, thanks to access to high volume medical data, it is possible to benefit from the following advances:
- A decrease in the number of consultations with a health specialist
- Optimizing care with the best use of resources
- Accelerating detection of diseases such as cancer
- Personalized patient support with new treatments
- Improved clinical research with easier analysis and decision-making
- Reducing health care costs
And much more! Artificial intelligence helps save lives.
Artificial intelligence applications in health
Thanks to the names of hospitals, artificial intelligence is used in the following cases:
- Medical imaging. With artificial intelligence, it is possible to make a diagnosis in a short time from medical images, whether it is body scanner, MRI, X-rays or ultrasounds. The detection of a disease is sometimes done over several months by health professionals, the analysis of medical images could greatly speed up the process of detecting diseases, in just a few minutes! For example, an abnormality can be detected for patients in intensive care by continuously analyzing vital signs such as heart rate or blood pressure.
The French company Imagia is revolutionizing the health field by being able to detect cancers almost instantly. Based on image recognition of benign and malignant polyps, Imagia creates AI biomarkers between two data sources to detect and identify signs of serious disease at an early stage. Imagia’s technological advances will save many lives and enable quick and effective treatments.
- Medical chatbots. In recent years, chatbots have become very widespread in the medical field. Chatbots promote access to medical information without necessarily consulting a health care professional. Many people want to learn about their health online from symptoms or images. With the arrival of medical chatbots, patients learn about a pathology with accessible information,which can be validated by health professionals. Artificial intelligence ensures that the reliability and timeliness of accessible information for remote patients are strengthened.
- Triage in the ER. Emergency triage can be a complex and time-consuming process. With the help of artificial intelligence, hospitals could greatly speed up their triage process and quickly determine a patient’s degree of urgency from patient-provided responses. The sorting done by a machine is considerably faster than human sorting, but must become more
- Medical robots. Medical procedures are increasingly performed in the presence of medical robots that allow to assist a surgeon. Indeed, a medical robot shows flawless precision to replace the hands of a surgeon in some cases. With the presence of medical robots, the health system would save costs by limiting the presence of health professionals during surgeries and would also make better use of available resources.
- Medical research. Thanks to hospital data, medical research is evolving faster and more efficiently. In the face of an infinite number of data, artificial intelligence can identify correlations and patterns to determine risk factors for a disease. Thus, all data related to health, lifestyle, genetic factors or demographics can improve medical research and earlier detection of potential diseases.
What is the impact of artificial intelligence on mental health?
Mental health affects a large number of people at least once in their lives. What if artificial intelligencevcan transform the daily lives of people with mental illness? This is the challenge that artificial intelligence wants to meet!
For example, there is a mobile app that can help people with depression. This is based on taking into account the symptoms and the progression of treatment. The patient will be able to benefit from information related to available treatments, meditation exercises, psychotherapies, etc. With this application, patients with depression can find the best treatment faster.
Through data mining, it is possible to improve medical knowledge in the case of mental disorders and to offer more appropriate and innovative treatments. This is particularly the case for schizophrenia where artificial intelligence is used to know the differences between the cerebral network of people with schizophrenia and that of people without the disease.
Innovations are constantly gaining momentum and constantly improving the quality of life for patients with mental illness!